Here is a collection of interesting small business facts that we have pulled from here, there, and everywhere. Enjoy!*
1. More than half of Americans either own or work for a small business.
2. 52% of all small businesses are run out of homes.
3. The people who make up the American small business workforce would rank as the 17th most populated country in the world, just ahead of Iran.
4. Men start small businesses at nearly twice the rate of women.
5. Contrary to popular belief, a start-up business’ chances for survival have not diminished since the economy weakened.
6. 70% of small businesses are owned AND operated by one person.
7. Small businesses create roughly 2/3 of the new jobs in the US each year.
8. Over half a million new small businesses are founded every month in the United States.
9. About 40% of small businesses don’t reopen after a major disaster.
10. “Micro business” is the term given to a small business with less than five employees.
11. 97% of all US exporters of goods are small businesses.
12. Only a quarter of small businesses stay in business for more than 15 years.
13. Small business owners rely mainly on personal savings to start or acquire businesses.
14. New small businesses are about 85% start-ups and 15% new locations for existing businesses.
15. There are over a thousand small businesses for every one corporation.
Do you have any interesting US small business facts to add to this list? Tell us in the comments!
*Click on the number to view the source article.